British turkey carbonara
|Nutritional values per portion|
Preparation time: N/A
Cooking time: 30 mins
350g/12oz dried tricoloured pasta shapes
100g/4oz back bacon, cut into strips
1 tablespoon olive oil, optional
1 onion, peeled and cut into wedges
350g/12oz turkey stir fry strips
100g/4oz baby button mushrooms, wiped and halved
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
150ml/¼ pint single cream or fromage frais
50g/2oz grated Parmesan cheese
300ml/½ pint Low-fat natural yogurt
Extra Parmesan cheese to serve
1. Cook pasta in plenty of lightly salted boiling water for 5-8 minutes or according to packet directions, drain, return to pan and reserve until required.
2. Gently sauté the bacon in a pan until the fat begins to run, stir frequently, add oil if using and sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes
3. Add turkey and continue to sauté for 5 minutes or until sealed. Cook for 3 minutes, add mushrooms and cook for a further 3-5 minutes or until the turkey is completely cooked.
4. Add the turkey mixture to the pasta, season to taste then stir in the cream or fromage frais and grated Parmesan and heat through for 3 minutes.
5. Stir in the yogurt, mix lightly together, heat for a further 2 minutes then serve with extra Parmesan cheese and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.