Azmina's Top Tips
You know that choosing turkey makes good sense – it’s healthy and tasty.
But, do you sometimes feel you want to cook something quick and easy rather than spend ages making an elaborate meal? British Turkey nutritionist Azmina Govindji shares her culinary secrets here – she’s a busy professional and a mum of two, so she’s had to learn how to cook up flavoursome meals the family will enjoy, yet they need to be on the table on a busy weeknight.
All you need to add is some crunchy steamed vegetables or a crisp salad.
- Pan-fry some turkey strips in a little rapeseed oil with garlic, basil and chilli flakes. Add a little oyster sauce and serve this with noodles.
- Cook a skinless turkey breast under the grill. Thicken some cream of chicken soup with a little cornflour paste, heat through and serve this speedy sauce over the turkey. No need to add salt but you could liven it up with cracked black pepper or paprika.
- Shred cooked turkey and mix with ground cumin, curry powder, freshly chopped coriander leaves and black pepper. Heat through and stuff this with shredded lettuce into wholemeal pita bread for an instant Lebanese shawarma.
- Pan-fry turkey steaks in a teaspoon of olive oil flavoured with garlic and tarragon. Cook on both sides till brown.
- For a special yet speedy meal, beat turkey steaks with a rolling pin to flatten. Spread low fat soft cheese on top and flavour with fresh parsley and crushed garlic. Roll the turkey up like a Swiss roll and secure with cocktail sticks. Cover with foil and bake in a medium oven till the juices run clear.